Sunday, June 06, 2010

Bummer

I suppose everyone has a crappy race now and again. I don't think I've ever finished a race where my time didn't improve, even just a tiny bit. Today my time wasn't even in the ballpark of prior best times, I was nearly one minute off my pace average per mile. But, a list of the things that might have contributed to the blehhhhhhhh-ness:

1. Hills in the second half, several
2. Didn't sleep well the night before
3. Tripped at mile 5, didn't fall, but did something wonky to my right hip
4. Should have worn a tank top instead of a tee
5. Off and on headache for the last few days...allergies? Dunno.

So I suppose I can chalk this morning's lackluster performance up to a series of minor errors and misfortunes that together simply made the race a bit of an annoyance. As always, it was a happy moment to cross the finish, grab my metal, rejoice in the end of another race started and officially completed. But I've recently gotten used to the feeling of that-was-the-best-I've-ever-done after each line crossing. Today was simply not that kind of race. But I checked off another race in my goal of running six half-marathons this summer. And given that the first 3 were in a mere 5 weeks, I should probably add "minor exhaustion" to the list of errors above. Spreading the races out a bit better would have been a good idea. But the rest of the races are better spread, just one a month in July, August, and September. I might toss in a 10K if something cool comes up.

Bummer of a race or not...

3 half-marathons down. 3 to go.

No comments: