Friday, July 22, 2011

The Lake Floor

Despite living in the Land of Ten Thousand Lakes for over four years (longer than I have ever lived in one place since I was a teenager), I have never actually taken a swim in any of said lakes.  Until today.

I made the quasi-ridiculous decision earlier this spring to sign up for a sprint distance triathalon (.25 mile swim, 17 mile bike, 3.1 mile run).  While I keep thinking to myself, "oh, I have plenty of time...," the truth is, I no longer have "plenty," but border closer to "not enough" time for training purposes.  My bike is juiced up and finally ride-worthy, and I've marked Tuesday as The Day I Shall Ride My Bike To Work.  But the swimming factor has loomed over me for weeks.

Unlike most Fridays, I have no plans tonight.  I had a couple options creep in near the end of the week but the closer I got to Friday, the more I wanted to be alone.  I busy myself with so many things, I forget to just be by myself on occasion.  With the sunshine promising to hold, and the heat of the early week promising that Calhoun would be bathtub-warm, I figured now was as good a day as any to take my maiden voyage in the wholly unattractive but fully functional new swimming suit.

Lake swimming is my favorite, honestly. I love the ocean, love the waves, but they're foreign to me, more excitement than relaxation. A good lake plus a good breeze, that's perfection to me.

 I grew up spending summers at Lake Nixon in Arkansas, getting stung by horseflies the size of your fist and catching crawdads with leftover hot dogs. For the life of me, my camp counselors could never teach me to dive but I jumped off the dock with the gusto of a champion.  We'd race each other to the lake floor, where it was always colder and the run-ins with fish more likely, grabbing a handful of dirt to bring to the surface as proof that we swam all the way.  I remember seeing one of the Jaws movies during this time period and feeling especially creeped out by what I could only imagine was a freshwater version of the great white lurking beneath the farthest dock.

As I swam into Calhoun, I didn't really think of Lake Nixon until I got to the edge of the swimming area.  Just by the buoys, the water at my feet turned chilly, a marked contrast to the warmth of the upper water, and the mix of chill and the occasional bump of toe against lake sand, made me remember those childhood dives to the deep, dark floor of what seemed to me to be an abyss full of child-devouring lake creatures.

It was a happy end to a long week.  Sunshine on shoulders, the comfort of childhood memories, and the grown-up sensibility to reassure myself that Jaws was just a movie and sharks do not live in Lake Calhoun.

No comments: