Thursday, December 08, 2005

Velvet Anonymous

My name is Rachel and I have a problem. A problem with velvet. Full thread or crushed, I get my poison the only way I know how: wardrobe injections. I know. It's the worst thing you can do, really, to overload on one fabric. But recently I just ache for it. My whole body begs for just one square of material, just one simple heel, one little cuff, one wrinkle, one belt loop of the stuff...

Today I shot it twice. Twice. Within two hours. I bought brown velvet pants, palazzo-style because they swing more. But the fix didn't stick. I couldn't stop at just one hit. That's how I knew I was really in trouble this time. The last time I overloaded on a fabric was in 7th grade when I wore flannel everyday for a year. I thought I could just WALK AWAY. But the gold velvet shoes just took me in, gave me comfort, loved me the way only an addiction can.

Help me.

3 comments:

Richard said...

dear ensconced in velvet,
once you consider buying a velvet jogging suit, or if you are already planning to be a pimp next halloween (just for the velvet), you might have gone too far.

Anonymous said...

Dearest...how can one 'jog' in velvet? One can do all manner of things in velvet, or have all manner of things done to one in velvet.... but 'jog'? It makes me think of trying to run in one of those bad dreams and all that happens is the materialle rubs and clogs each stride until your thighs knot up and down you go. Not graceful...and one must strive for grace, especially on the street. (and the classroom)

Anonymous said...

I've read that it's possible to slowly wean oneself from the deadly velvet habit by stepping down to velour (sometimes called "Fuzzy Methadone").
Just a suggestion.