Saturday, January 22, 2011

Technology is Neat

I received a set of crochet hooks and a how-to book for Christmas.  I've always liked knitting scarves (never cared to learn how to knit anything else) and I'd been eyeing a fellow bus commuter's awesome crochet projects for a few months and figured maybe a change of yarn method was in order. I want to learn how to make a hat, dangit.  A cute hat.  With a flower on the side.

I will not admit to how many hours I have spent staring at the first page of the crochet book.  I just do not think my brain processes pictoral instructions well.  Maybe it's the same part of the brain that processes maps because those who know me recognize my complete idiocy with maps, too.  I get lost in the mall. Blurg.  Anyway, I have tried over and over and over again to make a stupid slip knot and a stupid initial link of crochet chains.  I have cursed at an innocent ball of yarn, I admit it.

I'm tucked in at home sick today and all the sudden the wonders of sudafed inspired me to give the crochet book another whirl.  The book is a disaster and will never be touched again. But the answer to my frustration? YouTube.  There are a ridiculous number of videos on beginner crocheting on the web.  I can start the video, pause it, rewatch it, cuss, unravel, rewatch, and...victory!  This one below is the one that finally gave me my Eureka moment:


Genius. No more staring cross-eyed at that flippin' book.  No more questioning my worth as a woman because I can't master a basic handicraft.

And the proof? My first line of single crochet stitches:


Doesn't look like much now (and please ignore the glaring hole), I know, but I figure by July I should be able to make a hat without bursting into tears or threatening a defensiveless skein of yarn with a trip to the dumpster. Thank you, YouTube!

No comments: