Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Race You Quit

I attempted and quit my first triathlon this morning.  It's also the first race I've ever quit.  Every race I've ever registered for, I've finished.  Counting only half and full marathons, that's fourteen (fifteen?) races entered and completed.  But midway through the swim, at the furthest point from the shore, I panicked.  I can blame part of the panic on poor preparation, and part on a gimp ankle that has been throbbing for three days now, but neither reason makes me comfortable with crawling into a sheriff boat, walking across a beach, sitting on the sidelines, shivering with failure.

I couldn't stand sitting there so I walked my bike back to a friend's car, sat inside with my triathlon numbers cruelly etched on my skin (I've taken two showers, these numbers are stuck), quasi-permanent reminders of what I didn't do.

I texted the friends who I knew were praying/rooting for me and all texted back with condolences, hugs, words of cheer, reminders that the marathon was my "real" race and this one didn't matter.  But they all matter.  All races matter.

My kid sister, in her first few days as a college freshman far, far from home, texted the only words that made sense to me.  I quit, I texted.  "Sometimes you gotta do that," she replied, followed by realistic words like "next time" and "heal" and "practice more," followed by the best words, "if you want to call now I have 20 min before I go to church."

This race hurts the most now because of how much I miss that dear, wonderful girl. I have spent 18 years trying to be kind and loving to her, hoping that I am strong and wise enough to benefit her in some way.  But in truth, she has always been the kind one.  Inherently, gloriously kind.  She has been enormously good to me in the seasons of my life when I could not fathom being kind to myself and to have that wealth of support living, now, so many miles away just makes me sad. 

But her text was everything it should be.  And the phone call was all I needed in that moment, to hear my sister happy, encouraging, hugging me with that voice that says "we all have bad races." 

This was my bad one.  The one I quit.  And that failure will pester me long after the ink is finally scrubbed from my calves.  But I will try to hear my sister's words in this:

Next time.

Heal.

Practice more.

Go to church.

No comments: