Thursday, April 14, 2005

And the Beat Goes On

So I've decided to stop being myself. Anytime something big happens, date, job interview, presentation, whathaveyou, all my friends give me a few snippets of advice and then say, "Just be yourself." Well I've decided that that really doesn't give me any options. I mean, if you're going to say, "just be yourself," shouldn't there be some other option hanging around that someone is trying to persuade you to avoid. For example, if you are capable of telling someone, "be yourself" shouldn't they have a choice to be someone else. Next interview I'm just going to give my friends a list of possibilities and THEN they can tell me who to be. The Karate Kid, Artax (horse from Neverending Story), Tonya Harding, Flipper, or Myself. And THEN I can at least make a friggin DECISION about it.

I'm just sick to death of being forced to "be myself" when there really is no other choice.

Can you tell that I hate my life at present?

But I have gotten really good at making things with Tuna. Tuna Melt. Tuna Salad. Tuna with Noodles. Tuna Sushi. Tuna Tacos. Tuna omelet (better than it sounds, folks). I think I finally ate all of the tuna left in my freezer last night so now I'm on to the tilapia. Tilapia Melt. Tilapia Omelet...

I have one of those weekends coming up that you just know is going to exhaust you. Friday I have class til 4:30 and then I'm going to a baseball game and then to a bar/party. Saturday I will spend all day in the library and then head to Stephy's for dinner and Machelle's for the 20s v. 50s Party (I think I'll pick the 50s era but I do have that great flapper dress...). Sunday I have to live in the library and then I have a study group meeting to re-learn contracts. I will need a weekend after my weekend.

But, anywho, aside from exhaustion and crabbiness over tuna overload all is well. I'm just being myself, after all. But perhaps tomorrow I will choose to be someone with a bit more of an edge, someone who eats ketchup with her tilapia, someone who stands up for the rights of turtles, someone cool...

2 comments:

Richard said...

oooooh! ooooh! be the horse from Neverending Story!!! make sure to take a picture!
luv luv,
richie!

Anonymous said...

I think that you should, a la George Costanza, do the opposite of every initial impulse.