Thursday, January 01, 2009

I Promise

I've never been a huge fan of resolutions in the New Year. They always seem a bit trite and so destined for failure that I feel like I'm in some way jinxing my goal. 95% of my resolutions since age 10 have involved losing weight, which makes me sad for myself. How many times have I tried and failed and tried and failed and tried and failed...And the "I will lose 50 lbs if it kills me" or "I will never eat carbs" (circa 2001 or so) battle cry is so incredibly shallow, not to mention unhealthy. I should have been kinder to myself.

This year I have no resolutions to lose weight. None. That is not a goal. I do resolve to train for my first half-marathon, which occurs in late May. If I lose weight in the process, nifty. If I stay exactly the same weight but trade some fat for muscle, even niftier. I just want to be stronger. Faster. I know the body I am supposed to have (not the perfect, idyllic pilates-crazed celebrity body...but the perfect, redheaded, short, hands-too-small, hips-too-wide, is-my-nose-too-big, pretty smile, freckled, becoming-a-runner Rachel body) and that's the body I'm working towards. No more meanness. Lots of kindness. And new running shoes.

No comments: