Thursday, February 24, 2011

Wimping Out?

I signed up for the Get Lucky 21K (a less intimidating way to say "half-marathon") a couple months ago.  At the time, it seemed like the perfect motivation to get my butt outside on the pavement despite the general threats of wind, ice, snow, frozen dog poop, etc.  In actuality, the race has been looming over my head every time I opt for the gym (and its I-hate-the-treadmill cop outs after 3 miles) over sub 20 degree (much less negative) temps.

The race is a month away and I'm nowhere near ready.  Since November the most I've run in one bite is 4 miles.  Add to that the pesky (and ridiculous) neck injury that sidelined me for a couple weeks and you've got the makings for a pretty craptastic race a few weeks from now.  I got an email yesterday that the Get Lucky Half was relocating to St. Paul from Minneapolis due to some permitting issues and due to the change of venue they're allowing people to downgrade from the Half to the 7K (4 miler).  I am sorely tempted.  4 miles is completely doable, not to mention infinitely less miserable than 13 miles after weeks of injury recovery and FREEZING, Hell-No-I-am-Not-Running-Outside-When-It's-Negative-12-Humans-Should-Not-Live-North-Of-Missouri-Is-My-Eyelash-Frozen-To-My-Hat-Again? temperatures (forgive the dramatics, I am not from here and still find "here" to be kinda ludicrous). 

But I know I'd feel somewhat disappointed if I "wimped out" and did the shorter race.  Yes, St. Paul is not where I want to run.  And yes, I'm ill prepared.  But I've been slim on training before and managed alright, minus some vicious next day aches.  I know I would survive the Half, it would just hurt.  And maybe I could use some Ouch in my life.  But is it really worth it?  What am I trying to prove?  And to whom? I can sign up for another spring Half, one that would allow me a bit more time to train outside in slightly warmer, sunnier weather, and perhaps have a pleasant race experience instead of a miserable one.  And the TC Marathon is still months away, if I don't kick off racing season in March, that certainly isn't the end of the world.  When I ran the marathon the first time, my "kick off" for the process was the Stillwater Half, which happened in late May.  So why am I pushing myself to do this nutty March thing?

Just talking to myself, really.  I have a few days to decide if I want to switch races.  Until then, I will either continue to berate myself for being a "wimp," or I will find a way to couch the switch in a more pleasing light. Did I mention I bought a bunch of green St. Pat's Day doo-dahs to run with? The likelihood of neon green false eyelashes staying in place is much higher with a 4 mile run...

No comments: