Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Elizabethtown



Heavens, where do I begin? I saw this last night. I'm a soundtrack addict, love the way a song can transform a scene. I love the way music can underscore the look on someone's face and communicate feelings that aren't verbalized. Crowe, of course, is quite good at manipulating music to fit a scene. Unfortunately, in this film he built the story around the music instead of using the music to strengthen the storyline's emotional muscles. He loved the music more than the characters, more than the journey. Juice de la Juice, my partner in crime and my date to the movie, said it perfectly when she mourned, "He totally prostituted that U2 song." And as much as I'd love to see Bono ho-ing it up in true streetwalker fashion, I would prefer for that to occur on a personal, one-on-one, candlelit basis. A true disappointment.

That being said, I will go see it again. There were some lovely moments. And I love lovely moments.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you love the Elizabethtown soundtrack! One of my acquaintences just got discovered on there. I-nine is a Columbia band and the lead singer Carmen taught me how to dance and is a way cool girl. Also, the cello player is mad crazy hot.