Thursday, March 17, 2005

For Stephanie's Sake

I have been informed that I must post on the blog at least three times a week, preferably the night before property class, so that dear Stephanie has something to read during class. So, far be it for me to disable a comrade's procrastination shipwreck, here she blows...

I spoke on the phone with my sister, Caroline (aka Scaroline, Pickle, Carebear, Lungzit, Bucket, the Black Falcon). Caroline is the baby of the family and she loves it. She's a realistic child and she knows that one kid under the roof equals a lot more crap for that kid. It's a law of physics. Or biology. Or something. I will now evaluate the financial situation of the three children.

Moi. I am broke. This is to be expected, of course. I am a graduate student living off loans and the occassional surprise cash that Marmee send my way. God bless her. I don't do laundry because it's a waste of water. I get gas ONLY when the gas light turns on. I buy my food at the "sketchy" grocery store. And when I shop and spend loads of money, I always end up bring back 3/4 of the haul due to guilt. But, I don't really feel broke. My parents will help me if I get into serious financial trouble. My friends are equally poor so cheap adventures suit us all. And I'm in school, what would I do with money anyway?

Mon frere. Roberta (aka Robert Houston, Rob, Loser). Roberta is a freshman at a private university in Chicago. He's awesome. And as he is a freshman, he is still under the assumption that money is imperative to happiness and that Daddy is a walking wallet. I have no doubt his money goes to pizza at midnight, pizza in the morning, CDs, beer. Such is college. The last playpen. The final Daddy Warbucks living experience. Sigh. How I do miss those days.

Ma soeur. The Pickle. 12 going on 18. We spoke on the phone last night and she's definitely got that snide, supercool, I-rock voice going on. I hope she keeps it. Moneywise she's a smart cookie. She saves for things she wants and what she wants but can't afford she asks for for birthdays or christmas. The key being that she doesn't have to WORRY about money. And she shouldn't, being 12. She SHOULD be coddled and cooed over and given things and sent to camp, etc. It's what my parents did for The Loser and I. I just didn't know how great we had it.

WHY did I not appreciate childhood? WHY did I not sleep in more? Or watch more cartoons? I really think from age 14ish I was thinking of college, not parties. I had my fun, of course. But I certainly didn't play as much as I should have. Oh woe is me. So, to remedy this loss I will do the following...
10. Stop setting my alarm for 5am when I don't have class til 10am. That's 5 hours. What am I doing in those 5 hours besides stressing out over NOTHING?

9. Feed the ducks with Stephanie.

8. Talk to my sister on the phone more. Live vicariously through her 12 year old crushes.

7. Make weird things to eat. I used to be addicted to ragu+green pepper sandwiches. Now I eat more "mature" food. Bullshit. Ragu+green pepper sandwiches are the bomb diggity. Who said immature combinations of food were a bad thing? I'm no BobbyFlay but potato chips dipped in yogurt kicks my ass.

6. Stop apologizing for my obnoxious laugh. Obnoxious is hot.

5. Tell my friends they're gorgeous. All the time.

4. Drink beer in bed (alright, I didn't do this as a child but it seems somewhat teenagerly).

3. Play softball. I will get my glove when I go home for spring break and then it's on, bitches.

2. Have a crush. Whole 9 yards, folks. Find out his schedule. Stalk him. Kiss my pillow and pretend it's him. Wear colors I know he likes. Have a meltdown when he says "hi" to me. And then, one day, wake up and decide I'm SO over him.

1. Wear shirts that display my boobs (I already do this...some things never change).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you rock. thank you. the ducks look forward to your visit, although they are a little skeptical about Katherine because they somehow heard her "tasty tasty" remarks followed by her insult that they are dirty pond ducks and therefore NOT "tasty tasty". they are not sure which insults them more.... But I talked to them and insisted that she was just kidding, and they said they would forgive her if she brought them something cool to eat like soggy animal crackers or pizza. crazy ducks.