Friday, February 25, 2005

I am Physically Unable to Dress Like a Lawyer

Houston, we have a problem.

Yesterday I went shopping for interview clothing. Sigh. Why is everything so freakin' boring?? I tried on a dozen suits and each one made me want to scream. Is color SO evil? Can we not break out of this black and grey rut? I'm not asking for much, just a tiny bit of pop-bang-wow-oomph-yowza excitement.

I didn't buy a suit. I bought a sweet little silk skirt and a precious little lavendar top that I will wear under my brown blazer with my kicky new round-toed creamish plaid pumps. That's the outfit for interview number one. Interview number two, as it is with a big-wig firm, requires more corporate-ness. I'm still gonna go suit hunting Sunday but I will probably stick with my navy and cream dress with my oh-so-demure red cardigan and long red necklace. Sigh. WHY CAN'T I HAVE A JOB WHERE I CAN WEAR MY NEW URBAN OUTFITTERS SKIRT OR MY FAVORITE "greens-against-Bush" SHIRT??? WHY?????

Sigh. I hope I don't ever start LIKING to dress like a lawyer. That would be spooky. Maybe if I had gobs of money and could buy super fancy-shmancy suits with perfectly placed lapels and tiny little buttons and ridiculously sexy heels I could be content. I have always liked those pantyhose with the line up the back, a la Casablanca. I could work the menswear. I guess.

But today I just cannot envision myself in a pinstriped suit. I love my bright twirly skirts and my slightly offensive conversation tees. And I love my neon green heels and my orange snakeskin stilettos. And I love wearing flowers in my hair. Bleh.

I shall single-handedly overhaul female lawyer attire. My blue velvet kitten heels and my orange cat-eyed glasses will show no mercy. I am Fashionista J.D., hear me roar!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you were an astronaut, you wouldn't have this problem. They get to wear bright orange jumpsuits to the office. (I think you have a purse that matches.) Regardless, in following with my theory of life ("If you're going to do something, over-do it"), if you're not going for the charcoal suit, I say go bananas like the chiquita banana chick... with my blessing!