Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Ode to the Reading Room

Great vestibule of self-destruction;
Under whose watch was this madcap crucible created?
Wireless cordless electric power doom
I'd cry but that seems so dated
so lacking in precedent
so void of intent


I place my books in a semi-circle around me
Like some Druid circle of old
And my lipstick crusts on Diet Coke bottles
While the moan of Cardozo pulses, "And we hold..."

And I'm accepting 20 years of debt for this wooden chair?
Scalia, Ginsburg, Posner, Holmes, oh shit!
I used to be an actress, a volunteer, a woman
And now I am fingers and a keyboard and a contested circuit split...

At least Elizabeth is on the other side of the table,
eyes crossing, my comrade in arms, highlighters piled.
And Sarah is sleeping somewhere with visions of amendments
bruising her sexpot style

Katherine stares out her window and dreams of a boy
and assures us of high hopes, sometimes makes us tea
and Stephanie curses and calls me Miss W and reminds me
of a stronger woman I used to be

My girls, my fighters of fights I couldn't fight on my own,
Sit at this table and question it all, too.
So at least I'm not alone with my redbound books,
not alone in this home-hell-res-ipsa-loquitur Room.

Dedicated, quite obviously, to Miss P, Miss N, Miss V, and Miss M, with much love on this gloomy day.

3 comments:

Bitty said...

i like your poem. it's nice that that horrible room actually produced something worthwhile today. i'm very glad for the shout out.

and i love that i'm the cross-eyed friend.

Anonymous said...

You think I'm sexy?!... Yessssssssss. I think I should return to poetry land... and blogging land, for that matter: www.xanga.com/mephistophelina

Also, you're very kind to us. You're strength is our strength. That's one thing I really appreciate about you and the others. Okay. I think that's enough sweetness from my end of things. *Double metal sign*

Richard said...

a stronger woman you used to be? shoo!
fabu poem, rachy! LOVE IT!